I haven’t posted a lot on here about some things medically going on in my life. Starting about a month ago I started getting horrible headaches. I rarely get headaches and these headaches were so bad I was getting sick to my stomach. I went to the doctor after the third day of having these headaches and she decided to run some tests. I had a brain scan, tons of blood work taken and finally yesterday I got an answer.
My doctor told me I have Celiac Disease. Celiac is an inherited autoimmune disease in which the lining of the small intestine is damaged from eating gluten and other proteins found in wheat, barley, rye and oats according to information my doctor gave me. I am still in shock. It answers a lot of questions though and hopefully all of my horrible stomach problems and migraines will come to an end.
My whole life is going to change. I am a huge food person, I love, love, LOVE food. I love to cook, I love to bake. After doing some research I realize there are gluten free options, but I wonder if they taste the same as the real thing. Today is my first day gluten free and it has been extremely difficult. Instead of my usual cereal for breakfast, I had scrambled eggs (without my usual toast). Today at work one of my coworkers made a coconut cake, I refused a piece. Tonight for dinner we are doing chicken and brocolli.
The stories I have read of people with Celiac say that it does get easier after time and then you won’t miss the foods you once loved. I am so lucky to have a great support group with Daniel, my family and friends. Daniel wants to throw out anything and everything in our house containing gluten, but I told him not to. It isn’t fair to him to have to give up the food he loves too, we argued and he won. As of today our house is gluten free.
My doctor told me to get Cecilia tested for Celiac, because there is a chance she may have it. I hope for her sake she doesn’t, because it would be horrible to have to go through childhood not being able to eat cookies and cakes at birthday parties and to have to be so picky about what ingredients are in something.
I am selfish to be so upset over this, things could be a lot worse. At least it is a disease (I hate that word) that I don’t have to take medicine for and it can be controlled by a diet. It isn’t life threatening as long as I follow the correct diet. I am glad I have my blog as an outlet to vent about things. I will need all the support I can get.
Thursday, September 17, 2009
It could be worse..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Don't feel selfish for being upset, it will be a hard change to make. That's so sweet that Daniel is on board to help you with food in the house. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
you dont ahve to totally give up everything! they are making gluten free cake mixes and cookie mixes now! our grocery store has a whole gluten free area so if you want me to look for something for you let me know!
Post a Comment