Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday Friend


This week's Friday Friend is my good friend, Brittney! Brittney is honestly probably the nicest person I know. She has the biggest heart and would do anything for anyone. Britt and I met in 6th grade at Lockerman Middle School. We were friends throughout middle school, but come high school we grew apart. We both hung out with different cliques, and she thought my crowd was stuck up (even though we weren’t!). Then our senior year of high school we both worked at the same place, in that year we became friends again.

Even though we both went to different colleges, Britt and I stayed in touch throughout college thanks to AIM and Yahoo Messenger. My parents really got to know and love Britt too, she became like a second daughter to them. We really became close when we started working together once again at a pharmacy. Britt and I spent the majority of our weekends together with another friend of ours having fun times as single ladies!

In 2005, I started dating Daniel. More then anything I anything I wanted my friends to like him as much as I did, that so did not happen! The first night Daniel met Brittney we had all went out to dinner. Daniel jokingly made a comment about Britt’s car (her pride and joy, a Camaro) and from that point on Britt made it clear to me she hated him. I also made the mistake of spending the majority of my time with Daniel early in our relationship and not as much times with my friends. Brittney and I began to grow apart, I forget if we actually got in a fight or not, but I do know we didn’t talk for several months, which killed me. I missed her…

When I moved to Delaware in 2006, I found out through a mutual friend that Brittney was working in Delaware as well. In fact at a company that was directly across the street from my office! I took the chance and sent a text message just asking how she was. It had been almost a year since we last talked. She told me she was doing good, she told me about her new job and how she loved it. We ended up going to lunch together and we were able to catch up and it seemed like things were like they used to be except for one thing, Daniel. Daniel and I had just gotten engaged and I really wanted Britt’s approval. He was going to be my husband and she still was one of my best friends. She agreed to come over one night for dinner at our new house. Daniel and Brittney got along SO well! I loved it.

Slowly, Britt started coming around again. She came to a few of our infamous poker nights and really got along great with Daniel’s friends. Then in June of 2006 she moved into our house as a roommate. Brittney was by far the BEST roommate I have ever had. She kept things clean, she wasn’t around a lot (she had two jobs) so we didn’t get on one another’s nerves, she loved Cari as if she were her own (as a matter of fact Brittney is Cari’s godmother…yes my dog has a godmother!) and she was a great friend to both Daniel and I. Britt and I are polar opposites when it comes to a lot of things. She is definitely not a “girl’s girl”, where I am a mixature of a girl’s girl and guy’s girl. Britt loves cars (I think love is an understatement) and up until this past spring she hadn’t worn a dress since she was a child (she refused to be in my wedding, because she didn’t want to wear a dress – she helped hand out programs instead).

Britt was our voice of reason when it came to the wedding. I was very detail-oriented and wanted everything perfect for our wedding and Daniel wasn’t worried about the details, he just wanted to get have a simple wedding. Daniel and I got in a few arguments during the wedding planning stages, my mom and I got in a few arguments (okay, many, many arguments) and each time Britt was there as a shoulder to cry on and vent to.

This past year, Britt accomplished a very, very special goal. She lost over 100 lbs. the right way due to dieting and eating right. I am so happy for her! She still is the same Britt though, who always says whatever she is thinking and does not care what anyone thinks about her.
Britt doesn’t read my blog (I am not sure if she knows I have one). However if you are reading this Britt, I love you like the sister I never had! I love our many memories together, everything from the Tim McGraw (remember I touched him!?!?) and Kenny Chesney concert at Merriwether (even though we got lost..stupid Map Quest) to the many bonfires and poker nights at our house to dinners at TGIFridays and screaming at the TV during Ravens games (I promise one day we’ll go to a game!). Thanks for being a wonderful “aunt” to Cecilia and Cari. Thank you for the daily exchange of e-mails to keep work interesting (don’t let them stop when you start working from home next month). Thanks for keeping me in line when I needed it, but most of all thanks for being my friend!
(I will add pictures later, I don't have any good pics of Brittney and I on this computer)

3 comments:

Tim and Patience said...

boy do I remember some of those wedding arguments! Brittany is a great friend!

Brittney said...

ok.... IF I DIDNT LOVE YOU I WOULD BE PISSED AT YOU FOR MAKING ME CRY AT WORK!! :o)

Brittney said...

OH....... and I remember all those times I lent a shoulder to cry on with those wedding arguments... you TOTALLY owe me ;o) I will be coming over and crying when I get frustrated with my wedding planning... considering I find a willing participant HA!