It’s Tuesday and I am back at work, as much as I wanted to call out today I sucked it up and came in anyway. Cecilia is starting to get a stuffy nose and a cough, I hate when she is sick! She woke up at 3 last night and didn’t want to go back down so I let her comfort nurse while I read my book. Finally at 5, she was asleep and I put her back in her crib. I got a half hour more of sleep until my alarm went off at 5:30. I am beyond exhausted, but it is all part of being a mom and I wouldn’t trade it for the world!
Last night Daniel and I went to sign the contract with the builder finally! I am so excited to get started! We decided to forego a basement and put off the garage for about year or so. The basement was $30,000 extra and we know that this isn’t going to be our forever house so we agreed in ten years or so when we do build our dream house, we’ll have the basement. Then we can't come to an agreement on the garage, Daniel wants a detatched garage and I want an attached garage. I realize our home owners insurance will be less with a detatched garage, but I think an attached garage looks so much nicer!
I wish I could somehow show the layout on the house on here without disclosing too much personal information on where exactly the development is. We are building a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom Cape Cod, which will be around 2500 square feet. Two bedrooms and two bathrooms will be downstairs, along with a dine in kitchen, living room and utility room. Then upstairs will be the two additional bedrooms along with another bathroom. We picked this model , because it did have two bedrooms downstairs. I am not yet ready to walk up and down stairs with Cecilia (I have a fear of stairs since my mom fell). Once Cecilia gets older and I get pregnant with number two, her bedroom will be moved upstairs and the nursery will be her old bedroom. Then eventually we would like to have both kids upstairs and the guest bedroom downstairs.
Our next visit with the builder we’ll do my favorite part; pick out the colors! Daniel told me I could pick whatever colors I want (as far as cabinets, paint, counter tops and flooring), so I will definitely have a lot of fun. For now we are going with the standard carpet throughout the house (except for the kitchen and bathrooms), standard cabinets (which are actually really nice, not the same oak cabinets that every other builder uses) and laminate countertops (which I hate, but we'll deal with it for now). We figure we can always upgrade later. The only upgrades we are doing are a front porch, lights in all of the bedrooms (I couldn’t believe lights were not standard) and a pantry cabinet in the kitchen.
I wish I could somehow show the layout on the house on here without disclosing too much personal information on where exactly the development is. We are building a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom Cape Cod, which will be around 2500 square feet. Two bedrooms and two bathrooms will be downstairs, along with a dine in kitchen, living room and utility room. Then upstairs will be the two additional bedrooms along with another bathroom. We picked this model , because it did have two bedrooms downstairs. I am not yet ready to walk up and down stairs with Cecilia (I have a fear of stairs since my mom fell). Once Cecilia gets older and I get pregnant with number two, her bedroom will be moved upstairs and the nursery will be her old bedroom. Then eventually we would like to have both kids upstairs and the guest bedroom downstairs.
Our next visit with the builder we’ll do my favorite part; pick out the colors! Daniel told me I could pick whatever colors I want (as far as cabinets, paint, counter tops and flooring), so I will definitely have a lot of fun. For now we are going with the standard carpet throughout the house (except for the kitchen and bathrooms), standard cabinets (which are actually really nice, not the same oak cabinets that every other builder uses) and laminate countertops (which I hate, but we'll deal with it for now). We figure we can always upgrade later. The only upgrades we are doing are a front porch, lights in all of the bedrooms (I couldn’t believe lights were not standard) and a pantry cabinet in the kitchen.
Here is a picture of what we are planning the outside of the house to look like:

I apologize in advance if the next few months I talk too much about the house. I am excited that we won’t be throwing away money renting anymore and I can begin to decorate the way I want. Does anyone who has built a house have any advice on something your glad you did or something you would have done differently?
On a side note, does anyone know where I can ever start to get a new blog layout? I want something different then the standard ones.
I apologize in advance if the next few months I talk too much about the house. I am excited that we won’t be throwing away money renting anymore and I can begin to decorate the way I want. Does anyone who has built a house have any advice on something your glad you did or something you would have done differently?
On a side note, does anyone know where I can ever start to get a new blog layout? I want something different then the standard ones.
1 comments:
OMG I love the picture of the house! That is so exciting Mindy, I can't wait to hear more about it and see how it comes together! We bought our first home about 2 years ago and while it sort of becomes all-encompassing, it is so fun and satisfying.
I really hope Cecilia is feeling better!!
For blog templates, here are a couple of the websites I really like:
http://www.yummylolly.com/2007/07/thumbnails-of-all-my-designs_16.html
http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/free/free-backgrounds.html
Post a Comment