Tuesday, September 8, 2009

In My Thoughts and Prayers

This morning in Georgetown, Delaware police officer, Chad Spicer was laid to rest. Officer Spicer was killed by a gunshot when responding to a call last week on August 25th. My heart goes out to the Spicer family (he was a single father who had custody of his three year old daughter). It baffles me that someone can be so selfish and takes another’s life.

My father is a retired police officer. He held many different duties as a police officer, he was on the road at the beginning of his career, then for several years he was head of the local Sheriff Department’s Criminal Investigation section and for the last seven years of his career, he was Chief Of Police in the town I grew up in. He is now City Manager of that town and he still oversees the police department. I know every day he misses police work and I wouldn’t be surprised if he eventually goes back to it as either Chief of Police of another town or possibly even Sheriff of the local county.

I can remember being a little girl and listening to the police scanner we had at home and hearing my dad respond to a call, I prayed every time that he would make it out safely. Even though I am from a small town, you never know what will happen. Luckily, my dad never was shot at in his thirty years of being a police officer, but some officers are not so lucky. I have a lot respect for police officers and I get so mad whenever I hear to them referred to as “pigs” or another negative term. They are here to protect us and not to make our lives miserable. I still have police officers in my family (my cousin and my cousin’s husband) and I pray that nothing happens to them.

I have never been to a police officer’s funeral, but I have been to a fireman’s funeral and it was one of the most emotional funerals I have ever been to. The way all of the law enforcement and fire fighters saluted the casket sent chills to my spine and then when they did the “last call” for him I don’t think there was a dry tear at the funeral.

You can read more about Officer Spicer’s funeral here.
You can read here about how Vice President Biden came to a candlelight vigil for Officer Spicer.

0 comments: