Friday, December 11, 2009

Finding the right fit..

Last night I attended a Christmas Musical at a local church here in Delaware with my mom and a few of her friends. The musical, A Time For Christmas is loosely based on Charles Dickens’ Scrooge and the Grinch. Here is the description from the church’s website:

A Time for Christmas, written by Paul McCusker with music by David T. Clydesdale. Drawing inspiration from Dickens’ Ebenezer Scrooge, the Grinch and other one-time grouches transformed by the holiday spirit, the story follows a man who’ll probably remind you of someone you know. A businessman with no time for anything but the bottom line, Bill has plenty of money and material things and a tireless drive to get more of the same until he discovers how hollow and empty his life really is. As Bill travels through time with a mysterious tour guide on Christmas Eve, audiences enjoy musical slices of living history with a visit to a certain manger in Bethlehem, a side trip to a Renaissance court complete with opulent period costumes and a heart-tugging call on a Dickens-era orphanage. Elaborate sets, dramatic lighting, special effects and professional sound help transport audiences on Bill’s journey to newfound faith.

The musical was wonderful, every year I am amazed that the cast and crew of the musical are actual members of the church and aren’t paid actors. They do an amazing job year after year. For months now I have been trying to convince Daniel to finally agree on a church we can attend as a family. This has been the big debate since we started dating. We both have different religious background and coming to happy medium has been hard. Now that we have Cecilia, I definitely want her to have a good foundation when it comes to Church and going to Sunday School. I have been pressured from both sides of our family to have her baptized, but we have yet to decide on a church.

I was raised Catholic and Daniel was raised Methodist. When we got married, Daniel told me he didn’t want to convert to Catholic and I was okay with that. I understood his reasoning, so we ended up getting married in a Wesleyan Church. We went to a few services there and while we really liked the pastor, we didn’t feel that the church was a good fit for us. Daniel would really like for us to attend the church where he grew up, but it’s a half hour drive from us and it is a really small church. I have been to a services there and I want a church where the median age is not 60!

So, I am hoping to convince Daniel to attend a service at the church I went to for the musical last night. It’s a larger church, but they have a more contemporary service on Sunday mornings. They also have a lot of activities for parents such as Date Nights where they will watch your child while you go to dinner for an hour or two. I am really excited and I hope Daniel is open to this new adventure.

0 comments: