I was just informed by my husband this morning that his family wanted us to have Christmas Eve Dinner at our house. At first I was excited! I absolutely LOVE to entertain. Then I got thinking about how I would miss my mom's family's Christmas Eve celebration. Like I have said before my mom comes from a huge, but very close knit family. Every Christmas Eve my aunt has dinner at her house. Most of my family tries to make it every year, even those from out of state. I have only missed one Christmas Eve celebration and that was when I was on a cruise over Christmas with my grandparents. I was 16 years old and I can remember calling my aunt's house from Jamaica with a calling card and I ended up in tears, because I wasn't there. It killed me, because I love any family gathering, but Christmas Eve and Thanksgiving are my favorites.
I talked it over with Daniel and we decided we would have Christmas Eve dinner for his family at our house. We are going to try to have it around 6 or 7:00. My aunt usually has her dinner around 4:00. Daniel promised me as long as I told him what to put it the oven and what to do, he would stay home and get ready for the dinner while I went to my aunts. I won't be able to stay for long, but at least I will be able to see everyone for a small amount of time. I hate not having Daniel there, but my family will understand. This Christmas Eve is especially important to me, because it may be my uncle's last Christmas with us. He has been very sick the last few years and the doctor's don't expect him to live much longer. I hope he proves the doctors wrong and lives twenty more years, but you never know what will happen. In the end, Daniel and I compromised which is what marriage is all about.
Now, I have to start planning a menu! Any ideas would be appreciated!
Friday, November 7, 2008
Christmas Eve Dinner
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment