For the past few days, I have had a blog entry draft wrote as a weekend recap from last weekend. I had a wonderful weekend last weekend, and a wonderful week up until last night. Last night Daniel called his mom as he does most nights to check in and I could tell in his voice that something was wrong. I was in the kitchen cleaning up from dinner and he was in the family room. I stopped doing what I was doing and listened to his conversation, I normally don’t eavesdrop, but in his voice I knew something wasn’t right. I heard him say “Well, you are still going to be beautiful to me whether you have a head full of hair or none..I will love you just the same.” I instantly knew what was wrong. His mom’s cancer was back, she had a routine check-up at John’s Hopkins yesterday and they discovered it was back. I walked in and sat next to him on the loveseat. I just rubbed his back while he finished talking to his mom. Once he got off the phone I just held him and we both cried, at that moment nothing else mattered…dinner, the clutter on the kitchen table from the day’s mail, nothing mattered.
Last May, Daniel’s mom was complaining of sharp pains in her lower side. She finally went to the hospital and discovered she had a tumor the size of a grapefruit. Luckily they were able to do surgery and remove the tumor, along with the cancer surrounding it. Her oncologist decided not to go through with chemo or radiation, because he did not think it would reoccur. We had a slight scare, but we counted our blessings and she was cancer free by July.
This time she is going to go through the chemotherapy and possibly radiation. It is going to be a long battle, but she is a strong woman and I know she can get through it! She is worried about not getting paid during her treatments (with her work she doesn’t get sick days) and how they are going to manage to keep their bills paid. Their house is currently on the market, but they are going to lower the price in hopes of downsizing. I hope in today’s market they are able to sell it quick.
The holidays are supposed to be a happy time and my husband already hates the holiday season due to coming from a divorced family, now for the rest of his life December 18th will not be a good day. I am trying to stay positive for him and I know that his mom is a strong woman and she will overcome this difficult endeavor. He is taking it extremely hard and has already told me not to be mad at him if he isn’t cheery this holiday season. I told him we had to stay positive and think positive thoughts. I am going to continue to pray multiple times a day that his mom will make it through this and will live a long and very healthy life!
Friday, December 19, 2008
Happy Holidays?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh Mindy, I'm so sorry you guys are going through this. From experience...let him be down and sad when he needs to be, but always be there with love and hugs (even if they are silent ones). Positive thoughts have their place, too, definitely!
xo
That is awful to hear, especially during this time of year :( My thoughts and prayers are w/ you and your family!
Mindy - I will be keeping your husband's mom in my thoughts and prayers. You sound like you will be an amazing rock and positive energy for your husband and his family as they push through this.
Honey you know we are here for you guys. We know how difficult this is having dealt with alot of it. nothing can be said to make it better, so keep positive and know we are all here for you guys and Daniel's mom especially will be in our prayers! love both.
Thanks for everyone's comments and support! It really means a lot to Daniel and I!
Post a Comment