Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mother's Day Mania: Day 2 The Birth Story

Photobucket

It's day two of Mama M's Mother's Day Mania. You can read my day one post here.

Today, Mama M wants us to tell our birth story. I wanted to blog Cecilia's birth story on her first birthday a few weeks ago, but with the craziness of the medical drama leading up to that week and throwing her party that didn't happen. Thanks to Mama M, I can now share that story with everyone.

Cecilia's birth story begins on April 16, 2009. Little Miss Ci was being extremely stubborn and didn't want to come into the world on her due date of April 10th, because of her size (an ultrasound estimated she would be between an 8 and 9 lb. baby) and the fact she was a week late my doctor decided to induce labor. We had the opportunity to pick my induction date, so we picked April 16th.

I picked the 16th, because one of my favorite doctors in the practice I went to was on call. The practice I attended had 9 doctors, I liked all of the doctors, except for one and I made sure he was not going to be on call anywhere near my induction date. We were told by Dr. Cooper (the doctor that was on call and the doctor who scheduled my induction) that I needed to eat a good meal before coming into the hospital the night of the 16th, because I most likely would not eat until the following night for dinner.

Daniel and I had our bags packed and since we couldn't "check in" to the hospital until 8:00 we went on one last date before we became parents. Daniel let me choose the restaurant and out of all the restaurants I could choose, I chose TGIFridays. Yes, a chain restaurant, but I loved their Bourbon steak and often craved it during my pregnancy. I made sure to eat a good meal that night, I had a salad, the steak, mashed potatoes, broccoli and even a brownie for dessert. I have no idea how I eat all of that especially since Cecilia seemed be taking up my entire stomach.

After dinner we made our way to the hospital. At the time the hospital was under construction and I remember having to walk for what seemed like miles to go get to the labor and delivery part. We checked in and were taken to a room. Our friend, Jason's wife Erica (who is L&D nurse) was working and she took all of my information and then explained that Dr. Cooper wanted me to have the Foley balloon inserted in me. She said, "I would request Cervadil, because the Foley balloon can be uncomfortable." I trusted Dr. Cooper and told Erica I would stick with the balloon, even though I had no idea what it was.

After the Foley balloon was inserted on April 16, 2010.

My big 'ol belly, stretch marks and all. (FYI: I didn't get stretch marks UNTIL the morning of April 10th, the day of Cecilia's due date!)


Because we were friends with Jay and Erica I had requested ahead of time not to have Erica as my nurse. She was hurt by it and even though I know she does it all of the time, I didn't exactly want her down there. The nurse who inserted the balloon was actually someone that Daniel knew, but I wasn't as uncomfortable having her do it. Anyway, at the time the balloon was inserted I was a "fingertip" dilated, three hours after inserting the balloon I felt as if I had to pee. I called the nurse in and she said it was okay to go. As I was going to the bathroom I felt the balloon fall out. I freaked out, I thought I did something wrong. I called the nurse into the bathroom and she laughed. She said "Let's check you.." I got back up on the bed and she measured me, I was 4 inches dilated! In three hours! I was happy. The nurse told us to get a good nights sleep and they would start the pitocin the next morning.

The next morning I woke up and I felt great. I had a good nights sleep and I by the end of the day I would meet my baby! They started pitcoin around seven and I felt great. At eight thirty, my sister in law, Tammy arrived. I was so happy to see her. She had just given birth to my niece a year earlier so it was nice having someone there with me who had just experienced this herself. At the hospital I delivered at you were allowed to have up to seven people in the delivery room with you.

Originally I just wanted Daniel and our mom's with me, but after my mom's fall six weeks before my due date and Daniel's mom's cancer I didn't know if they would be up for being in the delivery room for hours. That is when I asked Daniel's sister Tammy and his younger sister, Lauren to be with me as well.

My contractions started getting closer together around 8:30. By 9:30, I was in an extreme amount of pain. Dr. Cooper came in and told me I could get the epidural then. At first I said no, but then after a very painful contraction, Daniel and Tammy talked me into the epidural. I think I was more scared about getting the epidural then the actual delivery. I had heard horror stories of epidurals, but luckily my epidural went in fine and worked instantly.

Around 11, my other sister in law had arrived as well as my mom and Daniel's mom. Everyone was being very supportive. I was feeling no pain thanks to the epidural. I was falling asleep while everyone around me was conversing. Suddenly I felt sick to my stomach. I called my mom over and she got me a pan to get sick in. Everything I ate from dinner the night before came up. It was not cute.

At that time the nurse suggested that everyone go get some lunch and let me rest for a little while. I did not want Daniel going anywhere, but I knew he needed to eat. Once everyone left I fell asleep and before I knew it Daniel was back. Dr. Cooper came to check on me and I had progressed to 6 centimeters, she assured me I would have the baby on her shift.


Our mom's! My mom (with the broken shoulder) and Daniel's mom (who was going through chemo treatments the week before)

In the meantime, one of our other friends, Candy was in labor on the same floor as well with her twins. She came into the hospital the morning of the 17th and had the twins via C-section around 5:00. I at that point had been in labor for 20 hours. It wasn't fair. Whenever Daniel or someone would leave the room Candy's family would give them updates on her and vice versa. At 5:00, I was 8 centimeters. Dr. Cooper's shift was over at 6, so she came to apologize that she wouldn't be able to deliver the baby. I was disappointed, but I had faith in the other doctor after her. I had met him at one of my prenatal visits. Even though he wasn't as personable as Dr. Cooper, I thought he seemed nice.

At 6:00, the nurse checked on me and I was 10 centimeters dilated. She had told me that she could see the baby's head and that she had a full head of dark hair (I was so worried I would have a bald baby, because I was completely bald until I was 2). I started pushing not long after. However, when I pushed I couldn't feel anything. The epidural was working too good. The doctor suggested they turn my epidural so I could feel when I had to push. Once they turned the epidural down I started dry heaving and my heart rate was dropping. The nurse said I needed to put an oxygen mask on.

Having to wear the oxygen mask

The oxygen mask was a pain in the butt, but I was going to do whatever it took to have a safe birth and not endanger the baby or myself. While Daniel fed me ice chips, I had Tammy holding one leg and Lauren holding the other while I pushed. At 7:00 I received a text from my friend, Amanda who was also an RN at the hospital, however she worked on another floor. Amanda asked if she could up to see me. At that point I thought what was one more person after having five in there. The next thing I know, Amanda and Daniel's cousin, Shannon (who also worked on Amanda's floor) were in my room. The more the merrier. Luckily was the nurse was very cool about it.

At 8:00 the nurse said I would be having the baby any time. However, the doctor came into check on me and he suggested that we go ahead and do a C-section, because he feared the baby wasn't coming fast enough. The nurse suggested to the doctor that we allow me to push for another hour and then we would do a C-section. She knew how much I did not want to have a C-section. She promised me the baby would be out before we knew it.

Around 8:30 she really started working on me with pushing, I felt so dumb, because I felt as if I could go the bathroom right then and there because I was pushing so hard. I am the type of person who had never even farted in front of my husband and here I was going to do that in front of him (luckily I didn't do that).

The doctor came to check on me at 8:40 and said I still had awhile and he would be back. I could tell the nurse was a little perturbed by his comment, because she told me that she had delivered by herself and if she had to she would deliver this one. By 9 I was panicking, it had been an hour and I didn't have the baby yet. I would have to get a C-section. The nurse promised two more rounds of pushing and she would be out. First round was hard... The second round the doctor was in the room and as he was saying I wasn't ready (he was at the door, nowhere near me), I pushed Cecilia out and he was barely there in time to catch her.

Here she comes!

Because Cecilia had swallowed meconuim during delivery she was rushed off by the NICU team who was waiting in the room. I could hear her cry, but I couldn't see her. I was sobbing myself, because I just experienced birth and I was in an extreme amount of pain, but I didn't care. Amanda was taking pictures with our camera and would come over and show me pictures of Cecilia. I couldn't believe how much she looked like Daniel, I loved it.
Cecilia Anne
April 17, 2009 9:13 PM
8 lbs. 2 ounces
22 inches long




It took what seemed like hours for the doctor to stitch me up. I had over 20 stitches and a 4th degree tear. Not fun...but it was all worth it when I got to hold her in my arms for the first time.



Here she is:



Daddy meeting his daughter for the first time.

Our first family picture



Italic Cecilia with her Aunt Lauren

Lauren was amazing during the delivery! She was the only one besides the doctor and nurses looking down to see what was going on. When the doctor cut Cecilia's cord blood went everywhere, including Lauren's shirt. It didn't phase her at all. Lauren just completed her freshman year of college, she's going to school to be an RN, but she wants to be a labor and delivery nurse. She will make a wonderful nurse!

I wouldn't say I had a difficult birth with Cecilia, but it was not the easiest. It was all worth it once I held her.


Cecilia a year later

What's your birth story? Head over to Mama M's blog to join in on Mother's Day Mania!

Also please help me pick out which picture of Cecilia to blow up for my mom and mother in law for Mother's Day!

1 comments:

Brianne said...

Wow sorry you were in labor for so long! I was worried too that my epidural was working so good that I was not pushing right. I kept asking the nurse if I was pushing ok. Luckily I was.

That is nice that the hospital let so many people in the room. How exciting!