Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Taste of Spring

A few weeks ago my mom, Cecilia and I took a little trip to my mom's uncle's house in Odessa, Delaware. Every year for as long as I can remember my mom always went to Uncle Jerry's house in the spring to visit with him and see him impressive azalea collection. She has tried to get me to accompany her for years, but I always had other plans.

This year however, Uncle Jerry called my mom the day of Cecilia's birthday party. He let her know that his azaleas were about to bloom and he would love to see her. He also urged her to bring "Mandy" (my great aunts and uncles on my mom's side always have called me Mandy, not Mindy...I let it go..at least it's only off by one letter) and the baby. So, Cecilia, my mom and I took the forty minute trip from my parent's house to Odessa the following Saturday.

When we arrived to Uncle Jerry's I noticed other cars parked along the side of the road next to his house. "He must have company, are you sure he knew we were coming?" I asked my mom. She assured me she had just talked to him that morning and he was expecting us. I was taken back by the entrance to his back yard. I felt as if we were going to Longwood Gardens, not my great uncle's house in a small Delaware town.

We said hello to Uncle Jerry and Aunt Helen and talked them for a few minutes. I appolgoized for coming when they had company, but Uncle Jerry and said that they always have company stop by, most of them strangers who pull off from the side of the road to take pictures. Some of them even get out of their cars and walk around the yard. He said that The News Journal, which is the largest newspaper in Delaware recently did an article on them. When I got home I found it online and I was very impressed by it. You can read it here. The azeleas are breathtaking and there were one of the most beautiful sites I have ever seen. I can see now why people travel from all over the country to see them.

I couldn't wait to take pictures of Cecila in front of the azaleas. She was getting tired so I knew I had a short time frame before I had a very cranky baby. I am by no means a professional photographer, but I was pleased with some of the pictures I was able to get. Daniel suggested that we blow up one of the pictures for our mothers for Mother's Day. However, I love so many of them, I can't choose just one. Which ones do you like best? Let me know in the comments.

1


2



3


4


5


6


7 (waving hello)


8


9



10

Here is a picture of only a portion of Uncle Jerry and Aunt Helen's yard. Can you find Cecilia?


Visiting Uncle Jerry and Aunt Helen during the spring is definitely going to be an annual event. I can't wait for next year...

1 comments:

Unknown said...

#4, 5, and 8 are my favorites...even I couldn't pick just one!