One of the things I have dreaded while being pregnant is the stupid glucose screening they make you take between 24 and 28 weeks of pregnancy. The glucose screening is a test to check for gestational diabetes, a high blood sugar condition that some women get during pregnancy. It is just a screening and it won’t give you a diagnosis, however if test positive during the screening it doesn’t necessarily mean you have gestational diabetes. You just have to take a longer three Glucose Tolerance Test, only a third of the women who test positive on the glucose screening actually have gestational diabetes.
Anyway, I went for my test Friday morning. My doctor never told me to fast, but at the advice of one of my friends she told me to fast. She said she only had a tic tac when she went to the glucose screening during her first pregnancy and she failed it. For her second pregnancy they actually told her to fast and she has passed her first time taking it.
I wanted to get the test over with first thing so I showed up to the testing place at 6:00 am when they opened. When I was called up to the little desk to give my information, I handed the lab technician my paperwork that was given to me from my doctor. She asked for my insurance card and picture ID as well.. Well, when she typed in my name nothing came up. She had asked if I was a new patient there and I had explained I hadn’t gotten any lab work done there since I have been married (for almost two years), so I gave her my maiden name. She asked me if I still had Blue Cross for my insurance, I told her I did, but I was on my husband’s plan now. She said “Oh well I don’t need your card if it’s the same.” I told her once again, “It’s not the same, I still have Blue Cross, but my member number has changed since I am now under my husband..” She said “Well I don’t need to see your card.” Whatever..so I know I will be expecting a bill from them once my insurance is denied.
She then gave me the sugary drink they make you drink for the test. I had a queasy stomach the day before so I was hoping I would be able to handle the drink. I hate drinking things for lab tests, they always taste horrible and it never fails I end up getting sick from them. In 2006 when I was having a lot of stomach problems, I had to go through various tests and for every test I had to drink a nasty drink.. I couldn’t keep any of them down. The worst was the stuff I had to drink for a colinoscopy. I tried a sip of the drink and then the lab technician told me to just chug it (even though I had five minutes), so I did just that I chugged it.. Not even five minutes later I was in the bathroom getting sick from the drink.
I went out to the lab technician and asked if they still wanted me to take the test and she told me it would be no problem. So I had to wait an hour (I got sick once more) before they took my blood. I ended up calling into work on Friday, because my stomach did not feel right after that. I hope I “passed” the test and I won’t have to take the 3 hour test!
In other baby news, she is kicking up a storm! Daniel has been trying to feel her kick for weeks now. She will be kicking, but as soon as he puts his hand on my stomach, she would stop. On Friday I was laying on the couch and she started kicking, so I had him come over and put his hand on my stomach and she kicked him twice. Then on Saturday he felt her a few more times. It is crazy to see my stomach move now when she kicks.. I will have to post another belly shot this week, because I have gotten a lot bigger!
Monday, January 12, 2009
Glucose Screening Are NOT Fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I too am dreading this test! how bad was the stuff tasting?
Sending good thoughts that you passed the test! It doesn't sound like fun at all, but at least you made it through and got it over with! Wow your pregnancy is flying by!
Post a Comment